This article is for Amanda Enterprise (AE)
taper: fatal changer error: slot 4: mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes taper: changer problem: no slots available
This type of error occurs due to some tape SCSI errors
- Power off your backup-server and tape device.
- Make sure all connections are secure including scsi cables, scsi cards, and scsi terminators.
- Power on tape device and give it a few minutes to initalize completely.
- Once the tape device has initialized, please turn on the backup server, and let it power up normally.
- Type the command dmesg | grep -i scsi (you can also grep for nst0) and look for any error messages.
At this time if you do see any scsi tape errors in the /var/log/messages or in the dmesg output, then please go ahead and address these.
This will eliminate the possibility of hardware errors.