This how-to article is a step by step guide on how to download and install Amanda Enterprise Software and use the Zmanda Management Console (ZMC).
Zmanda Management Console (ZMC) is a web application that supports Amanda Enterprise on the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. ZMC manages all backup and recovery activities. It is integrated with the Zmanda Network, which provides certified Amanda Enterprise binaries, white papers, demos, and technical support to deploy a backup solution. ZMC provides an easy to use tool to manage all backup and recovery operations for multiple clients and various databases.
ZMC helps in all day-to-day backup activities like:
- Configure backup policies, schedules, and clients.
- Verify configuration and client-server communications.
- Start immediate backups.
- Monitor Amanda Enterprise activities and access is reporting about backups and media.
- Create, edit, and delete backup users and backup sets.
- Restore files.
To download the software, place a request for a free trial license from the Zmanda web site (www.zmanda.com) and select ‘start your free trial’ option. You will be redirected to a form and fill the required details in the form.
The trial form is available here: https://www.zmanda.com/lightning/trial-form
Once this is done, you can select the required packages for download, and then copy the same into the Zmanda Server System where you wish to install the packages.
To install the ZMC, please download Amanda Enterprise Edition with the Zmanda Management Console, which is all available from the Zmanda network downloads page (https://network.zmanda.com/lightning/downloads).
The Amanda Enterprise Edition with ZMC package includes:
- Amanda Enterprise Server
- Zmanda Client for the server
- The Zmanda Management Console
- All of the dependencies for Zmanda Management Console
Prerequisites for Zmanda Enterprise Server:
- Before installing, make sure that the Zmanda backup server should have access to the media (tape, disk, changers) where the Zmanda client backups will be stored.
- The server should have good performance and network speed.
Server Hardware Requirements:
- At least 2 GB of disk space on the installation disc.
- The Amanda server and client OS must be up to date.
- Amanda server and the client cannot be installed on NFS-mounted file systems.
- At least 10 percent of free space should be available in the Zmanda installation and temporary directories.
- The amandabackup user should have privileges to have crontab entries to perform scheduled backups.
- The amandabackup user should have permission to read and write to disk and tape.
- The amandabackup user should have permission to write to the /tmp directory on the Amanda server.
- The directories /etc/amanda and /etc/zmanda must be on the same file system.
- Amanda clients must have open inbound TCP ports 10080 and 10081.
- Internal firewalls and SELinux policy must not prevent PHP processes.
Program Dependencies in Linux:
Amanda server installation on 64bit RHEL 6/CentOS 6/Oracle Enterprise Linux will require the following packages:
# yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i686 curl glib2.i686 glibc.i686 gnupg libcurl.i686 libgcc.i686 libidn.i686 libstdc++.i686 libXp.so.6 mailx ncurses ncurses-libs.i686 readline.i686 tar xinetd zlib.i686 openldap24-libs.i386 –y
Dependency Package Installation for Installation Of Zmanda 3.6 On Centos 7:
#yum install tar -y
#yum install perl –y
#yum install star -y
#yum install glibc.i686 xinetd nss-softokn-freebl.x86_64 glib2.x86_64 libselinux.i686 gamin.i686 readline.x86_64 ncurses-libs.i686 zlib.i686 libstdc++.x86_64 libgcc.x86_64 perl-Switch perl-JSON perl-Encode-Locale perl-Data-Dumper -y
#yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i686 curl glib2.i686 glibc.i686 gnupg libcurl.x86_64 libgcc.i686 libidn.i686 libstdc++.i686 libXp.so.6 mailx ncurses ncurses-libs.i686 readline.i686 tar xinetd zlib.i686 openldap24-libs.i386 –y
And if you are using a tape library:
#yum install lsscsi mtx mt
For the list of all supported platforms, visit the link below:
Use the following commands for package installation with dependency resolution on Solaris machines:
(gnupg2 can also be installed instead of gnupg):
#pkgutil -i gtar gnupg gawk libgcc_s1 mtx
Use the following pkgutil command to install dependencies on Solaris Client (you can install gnupg2 instead of gnupg):
pkgutil -i perl gtar gnupg libcurl4
Use the following command to install the necessary packages:
# apt-get install libcurl3-gnutls libglib2.0-0 libpcre3 libidn11 libssh2-1 libcurl4 libreadline5 libswitch-perl libjson-perl libencode-locale-perl –y
With the above packages installed on the respective operating systems, now you are ready to install Zmanda Server.
Please follow the above steps to download the Amanda Enterprise server and client binaries from the Zmanda website. In case you are stuck in the process, kindly contact us and our team will get back to you soon.
You can reach us at Zsupport@betsol.com or give us a call at 888-496-2632 (U.S.)/ 408-732-3208 (INTL).
You can find a downloadable PDF version here.