Amanda: Open Source Backup
Amanda is the most popular open source backup and recovery software in the world. Amanda protects more than a million servers and desktops running various versions of Linux, UNIX, BSD, MAC OS-X and Microsoft Windows operating systems worldwide
Key Reasons for Wide Adoption of AMANDA
Getting Started with Amanda
Amanda is available in various forms:
- Amanda Community Edition: Freely downloadable and used by hundreds of thousands of sites around the world. Available in binary form for most common operating systems and distributions. Source code is also available.
- Amanda Enterprise Edition: Fully supported and enhanced edition of Amanda. Includes Zmanda Management Console - a full featured GUI for Amanda. Provides support for backing up live applications and databases.
- Zmanda Backup Appliance: A pre-configured virtual machine to backup an entire network of systems and applications, based on Amanda Enterprise. Comparison Table Between Amanda Community and Enterprise Editions
Documentation, Discussion Forums, and Mailing List Archive
Amanda documentation written by users for users is available at the Amanda wiki. Please use Forums for discussions about Amanda and backup and recovery in general. A rich set of tutorials and user guides are available on the Zmanda Network (free registration).
Amanda Best Practices
- When Bad Things Happen to Good Amanda Backup Servers. This white paper describes methods of devising a multi-layered protection to the Amanda backup server by using Amanda backups and the standard operating systems tool rsync.
- Secure Network Backups in a Heterogeneous Environment in the Time it Takes to Have Pizza Delivered. How to install and configure a secure, heterogeneous network backup, verify the configurations and start a backup in less than 15 minutes.
- Configuring Amanda for parallel backups. If you have multiple clients you can significantly improve Amanda performance by running backups in parallel.
- Top considerations for implementing secure backup and recovery. Your backup is a copy of your most valuable digital assets. Learn about best practices for ensuring security of your backup data. Comparison Table Between Amanda Community and Enterprise Editions
- Linux/Solaris installation instructions are available at Amanda package installation page.
- Windows (Win32 client) installation instructions are available at Amanda Windows client page.
- To configure Amanda server and client, please take a look at the Amanda wiki.
- Get your Amanda questions answered at Amanda Forums.
- If you would like to get a trial version of Amanda Enterprise (with GUI support and other features), please contact us.
Download Amanda Community Edition
Amanda Community Edition is a free and stable version of the world's most popular open source backup and recovery software Amanda. Linux, Solaris, Windows and Source packages are available. Amanda 3.5.1 is the Latest Stable Release
Additional Resources for Amanda Enterprise
- User Guides
- Success Stories
- Blog: Network Backup and Recovery
- Levels of support: Standard and Premium
- Compatibility Matrix: List of supported operating systems, databases and applications
- Trial Software: Contact us to try out Amanda Enterprise in your environment
- Coverity certification: Amanda passes Homeland Security Rung 2