ZRM for MySQL Meets DBA Requirements for Critical Data Backup & Recovery
SUNNYVALE, Calif. - September 25, 2006 - Zmanda, the leader in open source backup and recovery software, today introduced the first comprehensive, enterprise-class backup and recovery solution designed specifically for MySQL databases. Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL is the first backup and recovery solution that meets the unique requirements of MySQL database administrators (DBAs) and also provides enterprise-class backup and recovery features. ZRM for MySQL is an open source solution and includes a full set of backup and recovery tools in an integrated, easy-to-use and low-cost offering.
"With more than 10 million active installations, including top Internet and Web 2.0 businesses, MySQL is clearly one of the world's most pervasive databases," said Chander Kant, CEO of Zmanda. "ZRM for MySQL provides a business-ready backup and recovery solution that will further accelerate the adoption of MySQL as a database of choice for mainstream enterprise applications."
With ZRM for MySQL, DBAs can prevent the serious damage caused by data loss in the event of system or database failure. It includes essential, enterprise-class functionality for MySQL DBAs, such as granular recovery capability, an automatic backup scheduler, the ability to set backup retention policies, and reporting and monitoring. ZRM for MySQL integrates with a variety of network-based data protection solutions, such as Amanda Enterprise software.
"As MySQL gains widespread adoption and moves more broadly into the enterprise, ZRM for MySQL addresses the growing need among database administrators to protect their digital assets with a comprehensive backup and recovery solution," said Marten Mickos, CEO of MySQL AB. "Zmanda is a valued member of MySQL's ecosystem, and their open source backup solutions are an excellent complement to MySQL's open source database offerings."
ZRM for MySQL meets the requirements of the MySQL DBA with features such as:
- MySQL storage engine awareness: ZRM for MySQL detects the specific storage engine that is being used by MySQL and then implements a backup process that is optimized for that storage engine.
- Local and remote configuration support: ZRM for MySQL can be implemented on the database server or can manage backups of the database server from a remote system.
- Granular recovery: ZRM for MySQL can recover a database easily to any point in time or to any particular database event between two backups.
- Backup analysis: ZRM for MySQL enables the DBA to analyze backup performance measurements and their impact on application operations.
ZRM for MySQL also includes enterprise-class backup and recovery features such as:
- Automatic backup scheduler: ZRM for MySQL can schedule full and incremental backups of MySQL database. These backups can be logical or raw.
- Backup Policies: ZRM for MySQL allows the DBA to set retention policies that meet compliance requirement or corporate governance standards.
- Monitoring and reporting: ZRM for MySQL provides pre-defined, user customizable reporting and as well as real time monitoring of backup activity.
- Network integration: ZRM for MySQL is easy to integrate with any existing network backup solution, such as Amanda.
"Zmanda is leveraging their expertise to provide solutions that address data backup issues throughout the enterprise," said Joshua Greenbaum, principal of Enterprise Applications Consulting. "Backup and recovery software that meets the rigorous requirements of enterprise-class MySQL implementations has been sorely missed in the MySQL market. ZRM for MySQL fills this need with a low-cost package that will strengthen MySQL as a choice for business-critical enterprise applications."
ZRM for MySQL is open source software, available in an enterprise version and a community version. The enterprise version is available as part of a paid subscription to the Zmanda Network that includes certified and pre-compiled software, technical support, knowledgebase access, software updates and security alerts. The community version is available at no cost and can be downloaded at http://www.zmanda.com/downloads.html.
Zmanda also offers a robust, open source network backup solution, Amanda Enterprise. Launched in April, Amanda Enterprise is a business-ready version of Amanda, the world's most popular backup software. For more information about the ZRM for MySQL, the Zmanda Network and Amanda Enterprise software, please go to the Zmanda website at http://www.zmanda.com.
Zmanda was founded in September 2005 to bring the benefits of open source software to the data protection market. The company's flagship offering is the Zmanda Network, a suite of enterprise software and services based on the world's most popular open source data backup and recovery technology, Amanda. Zmanda is committed to enabling the widespread adoption of open source data protection solutions in the enterprise. Zmanda's corporate leadership includes veteran executives with experience in enterprise storage and open source software. The company's headquarters are located in Sunnyvale, California. For more information about Zmanda, please go to www.zmanda.com.