There are two kinds of administrators: those who read the manuals before installing a new piece of software, and those who don't. With Amanda Enterprise, the second approach often works: the Zmanda defaults assume the most common OS and device configurations, and once installed correctly, backups are very easy to schedule and monitor.
But as with any client/server application that interacts with different programs running on multiple OS platforms, these assumptions can not be correct in all cases. So if you are the type that doesn't read the manual, come back to this page in case you do run into problems.
Verifying Amanda Enterprise System and Environmental Requirements
Almost all failed installations or problems with backups fall into two categories:
- The Amanda Enterprise server or one of its clients does not meet the system requirements which include package dependencies.
- The Amanda Enterprise defaults do not match the local configuration, meaning one or both must be changed.
To avoid these problems, read the Amanda Enterprise 3.1.x system requirements.
If you are upgrading from Amanda Enterprise 3.0, please see Amanda Enterprise 3.1.5 Release Notes and Configuration Migration from 3.0.2 chapter. Please note Amanda clients have to be upgraded to 3.1 release before upgrading Amanda server to 3.1.
Installing the Correct Amanda Enterprise Components and Licenses
If you intend to run the Amanda Enterprise backup server (referred to as the Amanda server) on the same machine as the file systems being backed up, this is simple: just choose the appropriate binary distribution from the Zmanda network downloads page, install 3.1.x using the Rapid Installer *bin file that matches your architecture, then download and install the license key. For patch release installation, please patch release notes for installation instructions. If you intend to run an Amanda server to back up one or more remote hosts, multiple installations on the remote hosts are required.
These procedures are detailed in Downloading and Installing Amanda Enterprise Components.
Amanda Enterprise 3.1.x Documentation
Comprehensive and detailed manuals cover both the GUI console (called the Zmanda Console Manager or ZMC) and command line interfaces to Amanda Enterprise. The man pages are also installed along with the Amanda server.
- Amanda Enterprise 3.1.5 Release Notes
- Configuration Migration from Amanda Enterprise 3.0.2 release
- Zmanda Management Console Users Manual Printable PDF
- Zmanda Backup Appliance
- Zmanda Linux Client
- Zmanda Solaris Client
- Zmanda Mac OS X Client
- Zmanda Windows Client
- Zmanda Nexenta Client
- Zmanda Application Agents
- Backing Up and Restoring Microsoft Exchange Servers
- Backing Up and Restoring Oracle Servers (Linux and Solaris)
- Backing Up and Restoring Oracle Servers (Windows)
- Backing Up and Restoring Microsoft SQL Servers
- Backing Up and Restoring PostgreSQL Servers
- Backing Up and Restoring Microsoft Sharepoint Servers
- Backing Up and Restoring Common Internet Filesystem (CIFS) Shares
- Backing Up and Restoring VMware Vsphere and ESX
- Backing Up and Restoring NDMP Appliances
- Setting up an Amazon S3 Storage Account for Use with Amanda
- Using Tertiary Media
- Amanda Enterprise Man Pages
Zmanda is a trademark of Zmanda Incorporated in the USA. Other products mentioned may be trademarks of their respective corporations.
Zmanda products conform to the accessibility requirements outlined in Section 508 of the Americans with Disability Act.
For information on Zmanda Management Console accessibility, please see the Zmanda ADA Section 508 Compliance page.