Contact our Government Team for information & special offers
Zmanda @ Government
Open source continues to grow as the software of choice for government.
Zmanda open source software products, including Amanda Enterprise, Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL, and Zmanda Cloud Backup provide easy to use solutions for the critical backup and recovery requirements of government.
Zmanda open source products have some obvious advantages over proprietary backup products, including:
- Cost-effectiveness.Across the board, from the President on down, the call has been made to improve government efficiency at a lower cost, and open source is the clear choice to achieve that goal. Zmanda backup products cost up to 80% less than competitive products.
- Based on Open Standards.Government institutions tend to have long retention periods, sometimes for decades. Storing backup archives in proprietary formats comes with huge cost and pain in these environments--in many cases it is simply impractical. Zmanda products store data in open and well defined formats, making data restores dramatically easy even after years of storage.
- A High Level of Security.The new DoD guidelines state that the use of open source will help them anticipate new threats and respond to continuously changing requirements. Amanda is the only backup project certified as having zero security defects by a project funded by the Department of Homeland Security.
- Track Record.Amanda has a long history of successful government use. Hundreds of government and defense organizations use Amanda every day. In fact, several enhancements to Amanda were contributed by engineers working at distinguished national labs. Zmanda products add new dimensions of ease of use, expanded features and support to this mature open source project.
- Easy to Acquire.Zmanda products are now available through the SYNNEX GSA Schedule GS-35F-0143R.
Open Source & Government
- February 2009 —The UK government officially puts open source on a level playing field with proprietary software, with industry experts anticipating savings of more than $1B per year
- March 2009 —Vivek Kundra, new U.S. Federal CIO, endorses the use of open source
- October 2009 —The Department of Defense (DoD) issues new guidelines that streamline open source adoption across the defense community
Zmanda's Enterprise Backup products are installed at following locations:
- U.S. Courts - The Federal Judiciary
- U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security - Raytheon
- U.S. Armed Forces - Lockheed Martin
- U.S. Armed Forces - United Launch Alliance (Boeing and Lockheed Martin)
- United States Coast Guard - TISCOM
- U.S. Air Force - Robins Air Force Base
- U.S. Air Force - Hill Air Force Base
- U.S. Air Force - Kirtland Air Force Base
- NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- NASA - Goddard Space Flight Center
- U.S. Geological Survey - USGS
- U.S. Government Accountability Office
- U.S. Department of Energy - Argonne National Laboratory
- National Institute of Standards & Technology
- Hawaii Information Consortium
- Montgomery County Maryland
- City and County of San Francisco
- Tulare County, CA
- City of Steamboat Springs, CO
- Lake Cumberland District Health Dept.
- Florida Department of Health
- Defense Research and Development Canada
- Government of Western Australia - Department of Treasury and Finance
- Australian Government - Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
- Government of Victoria - Department of Primary Industries
- Bangladesh Election Commission