MySQL Backups with Symantec NetBackup
Symantec NetBackup now enables live backup of MySQL, using two solutions provided by Zmanda:
Zmanda MySQL Agent for NetBackup: Backup MySQL databases directly from MySQL servers to your NetBackup server. This backup method does not need a proxy server and, for many backup methods, does not require disk space for transient storage of backup images. MySQL backups and schedules are managed via the NetBackup GUI.
Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL, with NetBackup Option: This solution gives you the full functionality of Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL, including an intuitive search interface for MySQL binary logs to quickly identify the location for point-in-time recovery. MySQL DBAs can choose to keep a copy of their MySQL backups on the ZRM server, providing them with a quicker recovery process specific to MySQL, independent of the corporate backup and recovery infrastructure. Zmanda Recovery Manager provides a scalable interface to manage global backup and recovery of thousands of MySQL databases.
MySQL Agent for NetBackup from Zmanda is deeply integrated and certified with NetBackup using the XBSA API. The agent supports backup of MySQL versions 4.1 and 5.x. Both MySQL Community and Enterprise Editions are supported.
This agent does full, incremental and differential backups of MySQL. Data is backed up to media of your choice, managed by NetBackup. You can monitor the backup and restoration of MySQL databases using the NetBackup Operations Manager.
- Supported MySQL versions: MySQL 4.1 and 5.x (Community Edition or Enterprise Edition). SkySQL Enterprise and Percona Servers with equivalent versions are also supported.
- Supported OS for MySQL Servers: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.x and 6.x and 7.x, CentOS 5.x and 6.x and 7.x, Ubuntu 14.04
- Requirements on MySQL Server: NetBackup Standard or Enterprise Client 7.x or 8.x for Linux. Perl. NetBackup Application & Database Pack is not required.
- Demonstration of MySQL Agent for MySQL (video)
Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL – NetBackup Option allows IT, managers, to implement live backup of their MySQL databases with seamless integration with NetBackup. ZRM does full and incremental backups of MySQL. Data is backed up to media of your choice, managed by NetBackup.
Combined with Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL, this option provides full functionality of a database backup agent for NetBackup. This solution is designed by MySQL experts and system backup veterans at Zmanda and meets the needs of both the MySQL DBAs (e.g. point-in-time recovery of their databases) and System Administrators (e.g. managing retention policies of data archives).
You might also be interested in Postgres Backups with Symantec NetBackup
- Centralized Backups: This option, along with NetBackup Linux or Solaris Client, only needs to be installed on the ZRM Server running on a Linux or Solaris server. This server can centrally protect multiple MySQL databases running on any operating system in your environment.
- Automated Scheduling: You can schedule full and incremental backups of MySQL based on your system resources and backup policies. You can choose to use the scheduler of NetBackup or ZRM in order to transfer data to backup media.
- Performance: You will have the option of using various methods to backup MySQL, including Snapshots based backups. Snapshots are the fastest mechanism to backup a large and active MySQL database. In addition, ZRM intelligently takes incremental backups and correlates them with appropriate full backups during recovery.
- Easy to Manage: Zmanda Management Console makes it intuitive for you to configure and manage backup and restore of your MySQL databases from a browser from anywhere in the world. You also have access to a powerful command-line interface for scripting purposes.
- Compatibility: This solution supports all MySQL Storage Engines, including InnoDB and MyISAM
- Visual Log Analyzer: MySQL DBAs can use the built-in visual log analyzer to search logs of their databases to quickly identify the desired point of recovery (e.g. just before a bad transaction was run by accident).
- Requirements: This option needs a subscription for ZRM server on Linux or Solaris and a license for NetBackup client for Linux or Solaris. You will need to get a subscription for ZRM for every MySQL server you are protecting — but these servers do not need the NetBackup client or the ZRM-NetBackup Option.
Also, be sure to check out 10 Points to Include in Your Disaster Recovery Plan