Enterprise-Wide MySQL Data Protection via Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) to be Available from Sun Worldwide
SANTA CLARA and SUNNYVALE, CA. -- March 18, 2008 -- Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA) and Zmanda, the open source leader in backup and recovery software, today announced they are partnering to deliver a comprehensive, global data backup and recovery solution for MySQL Enterprise subscribers. A 30-day trial of Zmanda Recovery Manager Enterprise Edition -- the first open source backup and recovery solution designed specifically for MySQL™ databases -- is available now at http://www.mysql.com/zrm. Starting April 1, MySQL Enterprise customers will be able to purchase ZRM for MySQL directly from Sun worldwide. Zmanda and Sun have also agreed to joint-selling and co-marketing activities in support of MySQL, the world's most popular open source database software.
"Protecting corporate data through effective backup and recovery is one of the most crucial tasks for a database administrator, and it can be a complex undertaking -- especially for today's large Web-scale applications," said Zack Urlocker, VP of products, Sun Microsystems database group. "MySQL users have told us that global backup and recovery is very important to them, and we are thrilled that we can now offer ZRM for MySQL as an easy-to-use solution for protecting all of their MySQL data."
"MySQL customers now have easy access to an enterprise-class backup and recovery solution designed specifically for and tightly integrated with MySQL Enterprise," said Chander Kant, Zmanda CEO. "Through its graphical interface, ZRM for MySQL simplifies the work of a DBA, delivering comprehensive backup functionality and unique precision recovery capabilities. With ZRM, DBAs get added peace of mind and confidence when using MySQL in mission-critical environments."
Zmanda's ZRM for MySQL is an open source, enterprise-class backup and recovery solution for MySQL and MySQL Cluster databases. ZRM for MySQL meets the requirements of the MySQL DBA with features such as:
- Zmanda Management Console - a set of powerful Web-based tools that lets DBAs control backup and recovery across all MySQL servers. Designed to dramatically simplify the complex process of MySQL database backup and recovery, the Zmanda Management Console has an intuitive graphical user interface and automated backup scheduler.
- Point-in-Time recovery - ZRM for MySQL can recover a database easily to any point in time.
- MySQL storage engine optimization - ZRM for MySQL can detect the specific storage engine being used, and then implements a backup process that is optimized for that storage engine.
- Local and remote configuration support - ZRM for MySQL can be implemented on the database server or can manage backups of the database server from a remote system.
- Visual log explorer - ZRM provides a powerful graphical MySQL log analyzer that enables DBAs to visually pinpoint an unwanted event or action and activate precision recovery, along with ongoing security analysis and performance audits.
The latest version of ZRM for MySQL, version 2.1, includes native support for Solaris™ 10 Operating Systems and Linux, and a unified global management capability designed for geographically dispersed MySQL instances. ZRM 2.1 also offers a comprehensive plug-in architecture for leading snapshot technologies provided by Solaris™ ZFS, Linux LVM, Microsoft Windows VSS, NetApp Data ONTAP, and Veritas VxFS. Snapshots enable DBAs to create even quicker and more consistent backup images of live MySQL databases.
"ZRM for MySQL has helped simplify my day-to-day workload as a DBA and gives me the confidence that our data storage is securely backed up," said Joseph Sandoval, senior system administrator at Jigsaw Data Corporation. "The new MySQL relationship between Sun and Zmanda will give more MySQL customers the opportunity to protect their data using the proven, enterprise-class backup software from Zmanda."
For more information about the new ZRM for MySQL offering, please go to http://www.mysql.com/zrm.
About Sun's MySQL Portfolio
ZRM for MySQL is an advanced and comprehensive backup solution for the MySQL database with precision recovery capability to any particular transaction or point in time. Today, businesses in 23 countries trust Zmanda to protect their corporate data. The company's headquarters are located in Sunnyvale, California. For more information about Zmanda, please go to .http://www.zmanda.comhttp://www.zmanda.com.
About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, MySQL, MySQL Enterprise, Solaris, and The Network is the Computer are registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems in the United States and other countries.
# # #